welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Surfing Newport Beach California

I would get up at 4:30 AM and load my red Ramsey Jay long board on my makeshift wagon wheeled cart that I had tied to my bike seat spindle.

The surfboard and the cart were given to me by Steve Parkford.

Then I would peddle my bike from 45th street to the 'River Jettys' located between Newport Beach and Huntington Beach.

 Wetsuits for surfers had not been invented yet so I would just brave the cold winter waters.

 One blessing was the fact that surfing was not the big thing that it is today.

 In fact no one was out in the water most mornings, it was lonely.

 I would have loved some company on my early morning before school surf sessions.

Especially those mornings when gentle off~shore winds held up the glassy waves for those epic A~frames.

 Surfing was a very peaceful venture back then, with no crowds.

 And then something happened and now it is very rare to get the waves all to yourself.


Yup, I grew up in the best of times!


http://www.aurasurf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/CROWD1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment