welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Thursday, April 03, 2014

What Changes Our Hearts?

God's Love Changes Hearts

This is something that actually happened to me about eleven years ago as I was sitting in a bible study at my church on a Wednesday evening. The class was pretty much freestyle, with people commenting on whatever the facilitator brought up at the time, and there was a lot of give and take.

 It was pretty enjoyable and informative, but on this one evening the Spirit of God did a real number on me- something I'll never forget, something permanent- but then, that's how God works His wonderful will in our lives, isn't it?.....

There was a woman in the class that I didn't particularly care for, and that's putting it mildly. I would usually 'endure' her comments, and wait for someone else to make their remarks before engaging in the discussion, but on this particular evening as this woman spoke, I began to pay attention to what she was saying.

Just why, I didn't know- at the time...but looking back, I can see that God wanted to change my attitude towards people that I didn't like, especially other brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Well, she spoke of her young son and how he had to deal with certain issues in his life, and in the midst of her speaking, I suddenly felt a deep compassion for her. It got more intense as she continued to share her story. I could see how much she loved her son, and the Lord just poured upon me a supernatural love and empathy for her that I simply could not understand, but I went with it (I may be stubborn, but I'm not stupid, for goodness sakes!).

I started to breathe deeply to avoid crying, but that only worked for a few minutes, as at the end of the class, I felt impressed of the Lord to pray for her and her son.

As I began to pray, the tears began flowing, and I could barely get through that most sincere prayer without completely breaking down. God had broken through this stony heart of mine and I felt nothing but compassion, love, and empathy for this woman, and only God could have done it, believe me!

 After the class, she came up to me and thanked me for having prayed for her, and yes- we became fast friends.

Now, I'll tell you the truth- all these years later, there are still other Christians whom I honestly don't care if I ever see again this side of Heaven, and God hasn't 'broken my heart' for them, and I don't expect Him to.

 I believe that he allowed me to experience His wonderful love for that particular woman just to show me how deeply He loves us all, and that He expects me to- by faith- voluntarily extend His unconditional love to others- even those that I don't particularly care for.

God reminds me that He loved me while I was still His enemy (Romans 5:8- But God commended His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us), and He wants me to allow that precious love of His to pour out to others, just as He poured out His love upon me, and allowed it to flow from me to the sweet sister in the Lord whom I spoke about...

Even when I don't feel it or understand why, I now know by faith that He wants me to always extend His love to others, because He ALWAYS loves every one of us us that deeply- always!

Beloved, let us love one another...

En Agape,
JimEwing

No comments:

Post a Comment