welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Sunday, October 20, 2013

John MacArthur. Strange Fire...?

   
It has come to my attention that John MacArthur, well known bible teacher out of Southern California and author of  the MacArthur Study Bible, has begun a seminar entitled, "Strange Fire". 

The purpose is apparently to expose and to warn the Body of Christ at large of the growing Charismatic movement within the worldwide Church, and to bring to light a number of the practices of the movement, in an effort to discredit, and to actually proclaim it as something which issues from the enemy of our souls, the Devil himself. 

Before I really get started here, let's look at just what "strange fire" is, in biblical terms, in order to see just what Mr. MacArthur is attempting to say. 

Leviticus 10:1&2, 
"...Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which He commanded them not. And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD". 

So something which came from the heart of man, NOT authorized by God, and not done in the manner in which He Himself prescribed, was considered "strange fire" by God. It seems that MacArthur is not only building a yet higher wall of division between Reformists and Charismatics, as is his wont, but is now loudly and forcefully, with a vengeance, and before the world, accusing a large part of the Body of Christ of being on the wrong side of God and His will- and of leading the Church astray. 

  Now, on the reformed side of the Christian aisle, this teaching is in essence nothing new, and there has been, for many years, a division in the Church among those who believe in and embrace the teaching that the gifts of the Spirit, and especially the "sign" gifts, as outlined in 1 Corinthians chapter 12, are in fact still in operation today, and those who believe and teach that those gifts ceased with the deaths of the apostles.....   

  Those who say that the gifts are no longer for today will cite Hebrews chapter 1:1&2, "God, who at sundry times and in diverse manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son...", believing that since Christ came to earth, lived, died for our sins, and subsequently rose from the dead and ascended to the Father, there is simply no need for any further revelation from God, as Christ Himself is God's revelation to man, and that since this is so, then after the deaths of the apostles (and the gifts were indeed needed then) any other revelation is considered extra-biblical, and therefore, not something that God has authored....  

Those, on the other hand, who believe that the gifts are for every generation of the Church age, including today, cite that the New Testament is clear in its teaching on how and when the gifts of the Spirit are to be used within a congregation (1 Corinthians chs. 12 & 14), and that there is no scripture in the New Testament which indicates that the time of these particular gifts (and giftings) has somehow ended. These Christians are referred to as Charismatics, or Pentecostals. I am simply pointing these things out as a matter of history, and to show a difference of opinion which exists among the legitimate Body of Christ......   

    The fact that there are differing thoughts on this subject is not such a big concern to me. While I consider myself a Pentecostal, I have genuine sweet fellowship with those on the other side of the aisle as well. My concern is with John MacArthur, and those of his mindset, who seem now to be on an almost paranoid crusade against a movement in the Church which has produced a good number of godly believers who have passionately- and I would argue- in the power of the Holy Spirit, brought many lost people into the kingdom of God.

 There are differences among believers, no doubt. This has always been so and it will continue to be until our Blessed Savior returns for His Bride. MacArthur points out a number of things done by some in the Charismatic movement  that are false, in the flesh, and detrimental to the Body of Christ.

 In this, I believe he is correct. I have seen a number of things myself which have grieved my spirit; ridiculous displays of emotional fanaticism which must embarrass even God. Things said and done by people, not from the mind of God, but by their own emotions, unspeakable silliness, damaging things done to other believers and to themselves. To where I had decided, at a point in my Christian walk, that I would no longer be of the Pentecostal mindset. 

This lasted for a few years. I would read my Bible, pray, and point people to Christ, but I began to feel lonely for that closeness, that intimacy, that absolute passion that I'd previously had for my Savior, and I realized that I had thrown out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak. I realized that everywhere I looked, people made mistakes, but that didn't mean that I couldn't minister or be ministered to by others in the genuine power and- yes- gifts and giftings of the Holy Spirit.

 I even put up a posting on David Sloane's website about this experience, which I  titled, "Confessions of a Gift Despiser". As I began allowing God to move more in and through me, I felt a renewed joy that I thought I'd lost. This has been MY experience, and I realize that not every Christian will agree with me on this subject. 

If Mr. MacArthur and his followers want to further divide the Body of Christ by calling something that is of God "strange fire", simply because some are moving in the flesh, rather than in the Spirit, he is on dangerous ground. Calling out the wrong, the errors, things done in the flesh is certainly the right thing to do, but if he is labeling the entire Charismatic movement something of the enemy of our souls- and I hope he is not, but I fear that he is- he will of a certainty answer to God. 

The Body of Christ becomes the laughingstock of the lost people of the world when we maliciously, and so publicly attack others of like-minded faith, and it cannot possibly please the Lover of our souls. Because of this spirit of division, I am DEEPLY concerned for the Church worldwide, and I wonder what it'll take God to do in order to bring us all to seek HIM once again. May God give His precious children the Spirit of love, understanding, and a heart felt "looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith".   

 En Agape, 
Jim Ewing

No comments:

Post a Comment