welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Ultimate Room For "Waiting Upon The Lord."

Silence is a truly rare thing. All reverberation is removed… all sounds that aren't coming from your own body disappear. After a few moments in the anechoic chamber, you'll begin to feel a touch jumpy. Hearing your heart beat, your blood pulse, the sound of your own ear buzzing and your body functioning like you've never heard before has a tendency to be a bit unnerving. And in complete silence, you lose all sense of space and surroundings. The absence of reflected sound and reverberation makes "feeling out" the room impossible.

I have been in Desert places where I could hear my own heart beating...and I have seen grown men freak out at the silence. Some people just can't take it and panic. Silence can be enlightening or it can be terrifying.

I know that I could stay in there for a few hours because when you wait upon the Lord you are absorbed in doing it and the silence becomes a non~issue.

lukas wrote: "I spoke with Steve Orfield on the phone and I could seriously talk with him for hours about what he does. Really nice guy and he's just full of extremely interesting information regarding audio.

He said they have an ongoing bet for a case of beer regarding the chamber. If someone can last 45 minutes in there by themselves with the lights off, then they get a case of beer. If I remember correctly no one has been able to make it past a half-hour yet.
Basically with such a lack of sound the body and mind start freaking out. Imagine your heart beat being the loudest thing in the room. He can go into much more detail than I, but I found that extremely interesting."

From Wikipedia,

In 1951, John Cage American composer, philosopher, poet, music theorist, artist, printmaker visited the anechoic chamber at Harvard University. An anechoic chamber is a room designed in such a way that the walls, ceiling and floor absorb all sounds made in the room, rather than reflecting them as echoes. Such a chamber is also externally sound-proofed. Cage entered the chamber expecting to hear silence, but he wrote later, "I heard two sounds, one high and one low. When I described them to the engineer in charge, he informed me that the high one was my nervous system in operation, the low one my blood in circulation."[12] Cage had gone to a place where he expected total silence, and yet heard sound. "Until I die there will be sounds. And they will continue following my death.
http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/902/the-quietest-place-on-earth-orfield-labs

I would like to see an anechoic chamber that has also been neutralized from any kind of radio waves and microwaves and electromagnetic intrusion by a Faraday cage built around it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/tag/faraday-cage/
I really think that modern intrusive radio and magnetic waves have an effect upon us in subtle ways that we don't yet realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment