welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Check It Out..



My two processor system goofed up. So I figuered that since the price of the quad cores has dropped tremedously I would build another box.

If you have come here and not seen any activity...well...LOL...you now know why. That and my hectic work schedule of late. But I am back to bring you more irritating stuff...LOL :-)

I just finished installing my operating system etc. There is some fine tweaking needed to overclock this baby. I always like to operate my computers at the max end of the spectrum. One of my best friends and I always like to stay on top of whats new out there in the computer hardware department. He recently told me about a quad processor that is unlocked for way less then what we had first seen them priced at.

So I went and got one. Now you can't just pop one of these into your box if your a type "A" when it comes to building your perfect box.

I had to first 'lap' my processor:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=82

After I had it finely honed and polished, I installed it with high-density, ceramic-based thermal compound. 2 to 10 degrees centigrade lower CPU full load core temperatures than standard thermal compounds or thermal pads when measured with a calibrated thermal diode imbedded in the CPU core:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

After going through the song and dance of loading my operating system, I then had to tweak it. Or at least start my journey towards the 'sweet spot" where I will get the max overclock and the fastest performance point possible.

Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate than it was designed for or was designated by the manufacturer, usually practiced by personal computer enthusiasts in order to increase the performance of their computers. Some of them purchase low-end computer components which they then overclock to higher speeds, or overclock high-end components to attain levels of performance beyond the default factory settings. Others overclock outdated components to keep pace with new system requirements, rather than purchasing new hardware products as expected by the computer industry.
Users who overclock their components mainly focus their efforts on processors, video cards, motherboard chipsets, and Random Access Memory (RAM). It is done through manipulating the CPU multiplier and the motherboard's front side bus (FSB) speed until a maximum stable operating frequency is reached. While the idea is simple, variation in the electrical and physical characteristics of computing systems complicates the process. CPU multipliers, bus dividers, voltages, thermal loads, cooling techniques and several other factors can affect it:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2005/overclocking.asp

Well, got to get back to my task...I love this stuff!

I will update this site when I get a chance, just wanted to let you know what was up on my end of things.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment