welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Saturday, February 23, 2008

A 'holy encounter' in a California desert cave

At breakfast this morning my friend Eric handed me this newspaper story. Inside a cave high on a cliff in the Owens Valley desert north of Los Angeles, the Rev. Brad Karelius struggled to find words to describe "a life-changing holy encounter" he had there.

Surveying the chaotic landscape of dormant volcanoes, lava beds and snow-capped peaks outside, the Episcopalian priest and philosophy professor said, "It evoked a serenity that was a gift. It was as if I'd entered a sacred space that changed me."I must have carried the memory home," he added with a laugh, "because people said I was a lot easier to get along with after that."

Those of you who know me (David) already know that I have been going out into the desert to seek the Lord with men of God since 1986. Mr. Kareluis is a relative newcomer to the desert places and has decided to write a book about his experiences.

Here are a few pics of our Desert Ministry taken over the years:






































No comments:

Post a Comment